Have you been successful at Shopify and would like to be compensated for your skills? You can do so by joining the exclusive Shopify Partner Program.
As a Shopify Partner, you can introduce others to the platform and benefit from it too. In addition, the Shopify Partner Program equips skilled partners with training programs and certification, along with development stores and collaborator accounts to monetize their skills.
In this article, we will help you understand the Shopify Partner Program and how you can enjoy being an active part of it.
What is a Shopify Partner Program?
The Shopify Partner Program is designed for developers, designers, advertisers, and associates. It provides members with incentives for promoting and enhancing the Shopify platform. Partners can generate revenue by helping others establish eCommerce stores, creating Shopify apps and themes, or offering support services to businesses using Shopify.
While becoming a partner and executing your role is easy, there is more to the program. Partnerships are reviewed annually and evaluate your performance as a partner.
Your earnings as a partner will depend on your role. Nevertheless, you can access training material and assistance in performing at an ace level. Some of the roles you will perform are as follows:
- Build or migrate stores – Help Shopify members by creating stores or migrating existing stores to the Shopify platform.
- Solve merchant problems - Assist Shopify merchants with issues and enquires.
- Create apps – Designing and developing commercial apps for the Shopify App Store.
- Become an affiliate – Introduce potential members to Shopify and get 'Bounty Payments' for referrals.
Partners have access to the Shopify Partner Dashboard. The dashboard keeps track of all revenue they have generated. In addition, detailed insights of all revenue-generating items like apps and themes are also available on the Shopify Partner Dashboard.
The difference between Shopify and Shopify partners
The difference between Shopify and Shopify partners is similar to the difference between a tour and a tour guide.
Shopify is an eCommerce platform where merchants and businesses have a store. These stores are created by the merchants themselves or with the help of Shopify partners. Any business owner can subscribe to a paid Shopify plan for a fully functional eCommerce store.
Shopify partners are professionals who can use their skills on Shopify to earn. Partners help merchants with setting up stores, developing apps/themes, and earning through affiliate links. In short, Shopify partners are existing members who bring new merchants to Shopify.
Alternatively, they use their skills to fix store issues that merchants on Shopify might have. As a member of the Shopify Partner Program, you have access to the Shopify dashboard for tracking sales on revenue generated.
Partners who perform well, and have acquired a strong client base may be invited by Shopify to become experts marketplace. Alternatively, you can contact Shopify for an invitation to the expert marketplace.
Shopify experts are partners who have reached the expert level of the Shopify Partner Program. Their expertise in the Shopify platform is advanced, and they have exclusive training content that regular partners cannot access.
Their access to the Shopify Academy is far more detailed and exclusive. Commissions earned by Shopify experts exceed commissions to regular partners. However, to be considered a Shopify Expert, partners must show an excellent track record on the Shopify platform.
Shopify experts can be Shopify designers, app and theme developers, programmers, agencies with eCommerce and Shopify expertise, and other independent experts. These experts are also registered on the Shopify Experts registry. Other merchants and members can find Shopify experts through the Shopify Experts Marketplace or other websites.
Steps to become a Shopify Partner
Joining the Shopify Partner Program is completely free of charge. In addition, partners have access to Shopify Partners Community to network with others partners globally.
Here are the steps to becoming a Shopify Partner:
Step 1: Go to the Shopify Partner page
Head to the Shopify Partner Program page, where you will see a green 'Join Now' button at the top. Enter your email address in the space provided and click the 'Join Now' button.
Step 2:Fill in credentials and create your account
Once you click the 'Join Now' button, you will be directed to a registration form page to fill in your credentials and create a password. Once you confirm your password, click on the 'Create Shopify ID button.'
Step 3: Verify the membership by email
An email will be sent to the email address you entered in the registration form. This email will have a verification link for you to authenticate. Once you have verified your registration to the Shopify Partner Program, you will be directed to the 'Get Started' section.
Step 4: Understand the Shopify Dashboard
Your Shopify business is dependent on your dashboard. To 'Get Started' as a Shopify partner, you can choose different programs that may interest you on the dashboard. Then, click on the 'Apply Now' button to fill out a short application form. The form requires your reasons for joining the program.
Benefits of Shopify Partner program
There are several benefits of joining the Shopify Partner Program. However, the most common reasons for joining include:
- Generating revenue for referring people to the Shopify eCommerce platform
- Helping other merchants on the platform by using your Shopify skills
- Use your design and development knowledge to create apps/themes
- Gain unlimited access to the Shopify store to test themes and apps
- Gain access to Shopify Academy to learn how to create apps and themes for Shopify
- Get certified by Shopify to use the Shopify brand on personal or business websites
- Build a portfolio of new clients by getting featured on partner directories
- Collaborate on existing stores without affecting the access of customers and staff
- Get access to exclusive tools that are available only to you
- The Partnership program is an excellent way to network with other partners
Pros and Cons of joining Shopify Partners
As companies grow, processing large amounts of data becomes essential. Shopify Partners can help with the business's build, management, and administration aspects. As a partner, your skills on Shopify become a revenue-generating asset too.
A higher skillset also contributes to a higher rank on the Shopify platform leading to a growth in your revenue.
Yes. Practicing as a Shopify partner can become a career in itself. Nevertheless, like any other company, there are advantages and disadvantages to the program. Below is a list of the pros and cons of the Shopify Partner Program:
- · Excellent revenue and earning structure
- · Access to exclusive tools
- · Access to Shopify Academy to get certified and trained as a partner
- · 24/7 support and guides according to your role
- · Growing and investment opportunities
- · Access to the Shopify app and theme store
- · Access to an extensive library of documents
- · Self-explanatory and well-designed user interface
- · Completely free of charge
- · The joining process could be time consuming
- · Partners must have marketing and sales skills to upsell their Shopify services
- · Revenue is only increased with time and expertise
- · Some tools are outdated and basic
- · Difficulty in mastering Liquid Programming – The default programming language on Shopify
Is it worth becoming a Shopify Expert?
Yes! It is worth becoming a Shopify Expert. As a Shopify expert, you get paid whether you are a designer, influencer, content creator, or simply helping other businesses. A Shopify Expert helps other merchants while earning up to 20% in commission.
The best part is that you can make a career out of being a Shopify expert in the long run. Becoming a Shopify Expert provides you with helpful guides and around-the-clock support. Shopify experts also receive numerous perks and extras. Tools and free subscriptions are some of the other bonuses that would be rewarded to you.
Curious to read more? Check out these articles:
Frequently asked questions
Shopify Partners are active members of the Shopify Partner program. They use their profound skills to help other Shopify members by offering support services and have access to Shopify Academy - Shopify’s training and certification module. Their role is to enable the platform to grow further and succeed. As a partner, you can earn for your contributions as a designer, programmer, affiliate, freelancer, and other roles.
Depending on your role as a partner, you can earn up to 80% of the total revenue of your service/product. As an affiliate, partners make an average of $58. Therefore, app developers and theme creators can reap a benefit of up to 80% on created items.
Any Shopify member can become a Shopify partner. To become a Shopify Partner, you must register for a Shopify Partner account. Soon after verification, you will have immediate access to all partner resources to help other merchants or sell your services.