Image size and quality have a massive impact on your Shopify store’s performance. Optimized images improve the loading speed of your site and help it rank better on the search engines. Moreover, photo resize helps your business look more professional.
From first sight, optimizing images for Shopify products may seem like real science, but we have gathered all the information you need into a convenient Shopify image size guide. Once you’re familiar with that, all you need is an image resizer app that automates all the hard work.
With so many photo resizing apps to choose from, searching for the best one may be overwhelming. To help you out, we reviewed the six best image resizer apps for Shopify and shortlisted our favorites.
Best Shopify image resizing apps: shortlist
- TinyIMG - the best Shopify app for image resizing and optimization
- Photo Resize - a good choice for basic edits
- SEO Image Optimizer & Resizer - optimization that doesn’t compromise the quality
- Bulk Image Edit - an optimal solution for resizing in bulk
- Crush.pics - great if you’re looking to improve your page loading speed
- PixPix - top choice for image editing
Best Shopify image resizing apps - detailed overview
For your convenience, we reviewed six image resizing apps and listed their pros and cons, so you can decide which app is the best for your case:
1. TinyIMG SEO & Image Optimizer
|Functionality||Automatic image compression and optimization|
|Best for||Image optimization, SEO, resizing in bulk|
|Shopify App Store link||TinyIMG|
If you’re looking for the best resize app that provides all-around care of your images, TinyIMG is the one to go for. This SEO-focused app has all the features you may need to ensure a fast page load and the best customer experience.
- Automatically compresses all images as soon as you upload them
- SEO metadata and alt text optimization
- Broken link detection and redirection
The free option optimizes up to 50 images per month and backs up your original photos for 30 days. Other options include a monthly subscription for $4.99 for 300 images or a 24-month contract that charges only $0.99 a month and offers a page audit and metadata edits.
- Automatic image optimization with all subscription plans
- The perfect app for SEO optimization
- SEO and page speed audit feature
- Inexpensive paid plans
- Only 50 images to optimize in free plan
2. Photo Resize
|Functionality||Automatic image optimization|
|Best for||Basic edits|
|Shopify App Store link||Photo Resize|
The Photo Resize app uses Shopify’s design guidelines to make your pictures look good. It allows changing them into a square, landscape, or portrait and adds a background color for a smooth look.
- The app runs in the background, so you can use other apps while Photo Resize does its job
- Allows to restore pictures if you change your mind
- Updates all the images automatically
The app allows resizing the first 50 images for free. Later monthly fee varies from $4 to $79 depending on your needs.
- Detects updated or newly uploaded images and optimizes them
- Quick automatic resizing
- Easy and quick installation
- If you’re on a pay as you go plan, the original pictures will only be stored for seven days
3. SEO Image Optimizer & Resizer
|Functionality||Bulk optimization, SEO|
|Best for||Automatic picture editing|
|Shopify App Store link||SEO Image Optimizer & Resizer|
SEO Image Optimizer & Resizer app features all the main features you may want from an image resizer app. It crops, optimizes for search engines, and doesn’t compromise the image quality.
The app features:
- Bulk photo optimization
- Individual image alt tags for different products
- Automatic photo editing for newly uploaded photos
The free plan allows performing ten actions on the app. Paid plans vary from $8.95 to $19.95 a month and include automatic backups and custom alt image tags.
- 24/7 client support
- A partial refund if the app doesn’t help you generate profit
- Automatic bulk picture optimization
- The subscription charges per action rather than per image
- The free plan is very limited
4. Bulk Image Edit - Image SEO
|Functionality||Watermarks, customizable alt text templates|
|Best for||Resizing in bulk|
|Shopify App Store link||Bulk Image Edit|
For those looking for a more advanced Shopify image resizer, this app is certainly worth checking out. The app allows auto photo resize in bulk and even adds watermarks to your images.
- Offers customizable templates for updating image alt text and file name
- Allows reverting changes if you change your mind
- Resizes images without losing quality
The app features four subscription plans. The Starter plan is free and allows carrying out 50 image edits per month. The Basic plan costs $9.99 and offers a watermark feature and 1000 image edits every month. Professional and Advanced plans charge $19.99 and $49.99 and offer even more image edits, and other features.
- Paid plans have a watermark function
- Allows updating alt text in bulk
- All plans have picture backup
- The free plan is somewhat limited and doesn’t offer many exceptional features
|Functionality||Image compression, SEO optimization|
|Best for||Improving page loading speed|
|Shopify App Store link||Crush.pics|
Crush.pics compresses images to improve your page’s loading speed, and it does it by offering three different compression options. And it does it all by automatically running in the background.
- Automated image compression
- Image optimization for SEO
- Optimizes not just product pictures but also the asset images
Crush.pics offers a free plan that allows optimizing 25MB of images. Paid plans have significantly more features, such as SEO and alt tag renaming, automatic and manual image compression, and product and asset image optimization. Monthly plans cost from $4.99 to $19.99 a month.
- All the plans include a 30-day backup
- Does all the work while running in the background
- Offers both automatic and manual image compression
- Some users complain about compromised image quality
6. PixPix Image Editor
|Functionality||Image editor, can be integrated into product page|
|Shopify App Store link||PixPix Image Editor|
PixPix is a user-friendly app to shrink pictures that even beginners will find easy to use. It also has a handful of features that put the app on the side of more advanced photo resize apps.
- SEO features such as alt text and file name changing
- Integrated image editor
- Bulk image uploads
The app offers a-14 day free trial with unlimited image editing. Pro plan costs $9.99 and offers bulk image uploading and resizing, besides unlimited image editing.
- PixPix Image Editor has advanced features, such as color changing and a brush
- It has a Chrome extension integration for a quick use
- Allows changing image orientation
- The free plan is only available for 14 days
Why should you resize images for Shopify?
Resizing images for Shopify plays an important role in the user experience and even search engine rankings. Here are the main reasons why you should resize the images:
- Properly sized images improve your page speed. The larger the images, the longer it takes for a page to load. So resizing images to a suggested size (such as 2048 x 2048 px for a square image) can mean that your page will load faster.
- Resizing images helps your page to rank better on search engines. Shopify photo resizing apps allow adding alt tags and naming pictures quickly, improving your Shopify store SEO.
- The right size draws attention to the most important parts of the image. In other words, it shows exactly what you want to show. If the image is too wide or too narrow, it may not look as you intended when uploaded without resizing.
- If your images are all the same size, your page will look more professional.
How to resize images for Shopify without losing quality?
Nobody wants to compromise their image quality when changing the size of an image. However, it happens very often. Here are a few tips on how to resize your images and not lose their quality:
- Refer to Shopify’s suggested image sizes
- Crop instead of shrinking your images
- Research Shopify image resizer apps
- Find which resizer app is best for keeping the image quality
- Always check the image quality after resizing before posting it on your page
If you choose the right resizing photos app, you don’t have to worry about losing the quality.
Frequently asked questions
Can you resize images in Shopify?
To resize images for Shopify, you need an image resizer app that automatically optimizes your image ratio and helps with your SEO. TinyIMG is one of the best resizing apps for all-round image SEO.
What size should my images be for Shopify?
Shopify experts recommend sizing your pictures at 2048 x 2048 pixels for square product images. For more suggestions, check out the Shopify image size guide.
Does Shopify auto resize images?
Yes, Shopify has size parameters for your images, and will resize the images that don’t meet their requirements.
How do I bulk edit images in Shopify?
To bulk edit images in Shopify, download an image editing app that automatically resizes all your images. For the best customer experience on Shopify, all images should be the same size, so editing them in bulk is a good way to go.
How to reduce the MB size of a photo?
Download one of Shopify resize apps and bulk edit images to the MB size you need. Most image resize apps have a free plan, so you can try different apps to find the one that suits you best.